Noordwijk, The Netherlands
On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer (G2A)
Expires: July 02, 2021
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION IN ENGLISH VIA THE APPLY BUTTON BELOW. WE DO NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS SENT BY EMAIL.
We are looking for an On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer on behalf of the European Space Agency (ESA) for their location in Noordwijk, The Netherlands, to support their On-Board Comp. & Data Handling Section within the programme guidelines and constraints as defined by the G2A Satellite Platform Manager.
The On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions for platform and payload data handling architectures and units (on-board computers, mass memories, remote terminals, etc.).
The post holder assignment concerns support to the Galileo 2nd Generation satellite Project (G2A satellite), Galileo Programme Department, Directorate of Navigation as an On-Board Computer and Data Handling Systems Engineer.
ESA starts the procurement of the first batch of the Galileo Second Generation (G2) satellites, which will provide all the services and capabilities of the current first generation, together with a substantial number of improvements as well as new services and capabilities.
Reporting directly to the G2A Satellite Platform Manager, the post holder is technical responsible for the design and procurement of the G2A spacecraft data handling subsystem (DHS).
Please note, the successful candidate will be employed by ATG Europe and not by ESA.
The successful candidate will be tasked with, but not limited to:
Questions about this position?
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Provide expert technical support and consultancy to the Galileo projects regarding on-board Computer and Data-Handling systems throughout all project phases;
- Lead and coordinate specialized engineering support provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management and Operation;
- Participate in feasibility studies, project reviews and the evaluation of procurement proposals within the DHS perimeter;
- Identify critical DHS development problems and assisting in their resolution;
- Monitor the industrial work associated with design, development, validation, qualification and acceptance of the on-board Computer and Data-Handling systems and associated equipment ensuring that these meet the satellite and security requirements;
- Monitor the industrial activities related to the definition and execution of the satellite verification programme in the areas of responsibility, including implementation and monitoring of AIT/AIV activities on Data Handling sub-systems and equipment.
- Ensure timely delivery of the Deliverable Items (to allow preparation of in-orbit operations) in the domain of responsibility as foreseen by industrial activities included in the Statement of Work;
- Elaborate in the area of expertise the dispositions related to anomaly-handling, NRBs, NCR process, RFD/W, etc.;
- Participate in Agency project reviews and lower-level reviews in the relevant field of competence (DHS);
- Prepare the inputs in the area of expertise for the Satellite Verification Control Board and Space Segment Control Boards’ processes;
- Regular and ad hoc reporting to the Satellite Platform Manager on all aspects of on-board Computer and Data-Handling sub-system and equipment development, proactive monitoring of relevant schedules, identifying risk and problem areas, proposing mitigation actions;
- In performing these duties, the post holder shall ensure close cooperation with G2A Sat Security engineer and the other G2A team engineers; as well as with other G2A functions (PA, Operations) as appropriate to maximise efficiency in executing the project;
- Participate in periodic meetings with the parent On-Board Computer & Data Handling section, contributing to the transfer of technical knowledge and lessons learned (within the limits of mandated project confidentiality) across the Agency.