Noordwijk, The Netherlands
On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer (G2B)
Expires: July 02, 2021
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION IN ENGLISH VIA THE APPLY BUTTON BELOW. WE DO NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS SENT BY EMAIL.
We are looking for an On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer on behalf of the European Space Agency (ESA) for their location in Noordwijk, The Netherlands, to support their On-Board Comp. & Data Handling Section within the programme guidelines and constraints as defined by the G2B Satellite Platform Manager.
The On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions for platform and payloads (on-board computers, mass memories, remote terminals, etc.).
The post holder assignment concerns support to the Galileo 2nd Generation satellite Project (G2B satellite), Galileo Programme Department, Directorate of Navigation as an On-Board Computer and Data Handling Systems Engineer.
Reporting directly to the G2B Satellite Platform Manager, the post holder is responsible for the definition, implementation and procurement of the G2B spacecraft Avionics sub-systems including the data handling subsystem (DHS), Attitude and Orbit Control Systems (AOCS) and Electrical Propulsion Sub-system (EPS).
Please note, the successful candidate will be employed by ATG Europe and not by ESA.
The successful candidate will be tasked with, but not limited to:
Questions about this position?
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Provide expert technical support and consultancy to the Galileo projects regarding on-board Computer and Data-Handling systems throughout all project phases;
- Lead and coordinate specialized engineering support provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management and Operation;
- Monitor the industrial work associated with design, development, validation, qualification and acceptance of the Avionics sub-systems (DHS, AOCS, EPS) and associated equipment ensuring that these meet the satellite and security requirements with the support of specialized AOCS and EPS engineers provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management;
- Monitor the industrial activities related to the definition and execution of the satellite verification programme in the areas of responsibility, including implementation and monitoring of AIT/AIV activities on Avionics sub-systems and equipment with the specialized AOCS and EPS engineers provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management;
- Contribute to the control and management of the satellite budgets in the areas of responsibility with the support of specialized AOCS and EPS engineers provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management;
- Ensure timely delivery of the Deliverable Items (to allow preparation of in-orbit operations) in the domain of his responsibility as foreseen by industrial activities included in the Statement of Work;
- Elaborate in the area of expertise the dispositions related to anomaly-handling, NRBs, NCR process, RFD/W, etc.;
- Participate in Agency project reviews and lower-level reviews in the relevant field of competence (DHS, AOCS, EPS);
- Prepare the inputs in the area of expertise for the Satellite Verification Control Board and Space Segment Control Boards’ processes;
- Regular and ad hoc reporting to the Satellite Platform Manager on all aspects of Avionics Sub-Systems and equipment development, proactive monitoring of relevant schedules, identifying risk and problem areas, proposing mitigation actions;
- In performing these duties, the post holder shall ensure close cooperation with ESA Security engineer and the other G2B team engineers, as well as with other G2B functions (PA, Security, Operations) as appropriate to maximise efficiency in executing the project;
- Participate in periodic meetings with the parent On-Board Computer & Data Handling section, contributing to the transfer of technical knowledge and lessons learned (within the perimeter defined between the project and the parent section) across the Agency.